In this technique, we’re going to use slightly lighter shades than the traditional “smokey eye” (blacks and dark grays). This smokey eye technique will always stay the same no mater what colors you choose, so you can customize the drama for any season or event, and even use this technique for daytime eyes that pop! All you need are 3 complimentary Eye Candy Colors (or any b3 you’d like to see mixed together).
No matter what brand of makeup your using, the makeup tools and brushes you use to apply them with will dramatically affect the look- and the best finished looks always rely on the tools used with the application. This means toss those spongy applicators and invest in a few good shadow brushes. Our professional makeup brushes are custom made for Ferro Cosmetics, with soft luxurious bristles that hold the loose minerals in place until you apply them. Plus- they last for years and years!
- Makeup Brushes- We’re going to use Large Oval Shadow brush, our Duo Smudge/Shadow Brush, Blending Brush, and Duo Brow/Liner Brush.
- 3 colors from lightest to darkest that can work together. One of the 3 shades must be pale, the “darkest” color is going to give the “smoked out” look, and the 3rd color will be for blending or highlighting.
We’re using our SULTRY COLLECTION (Sultry Smoke, Plum Crème, and Midnight).
- Apply Plum Crème (lightest shade) to the entire lid using the Large Oval Brush. The bristles of this brush are bound tight and cut specifically to lay mineral makeup onto eyes evenly and smoothly. Repeat on other eye. Lift brows keeping eyes open when applying to avoid “skipping” of the brush over the delicate skin on the lid.
- Now using the shadow side of the duo/smudge shadow brush, apply Sultry Smoke to the crease, beginning in the center and working your way out to edge of eyes. Use small downward strokes to deposit the rich color, keeping the richer pigments in the crease so that the color fades into the lash line. Make sure you can see the Plum Crème completely on the brow bone, and barely there at the lash line.
- Now, blending outward (from inner corner of eye to outer corner of the eye) blend Sultry Smoke evenly and with as much intensity as you wish.
- Flip the brush and use the Smudge side of the brush, and apply Sultry Smoke to UNDER bottom lashes of eyes. Continue to connect the crease to the newly applied color under lashes to outside corner. Avoid the inner corner of the eye.
- For added drama: Using Midnight, apply just enough to add intensity and darkness if desired, starting in the middle of the crease and blending towards edge of the eye. Follow your application of Sultry Smoke with Midnight by applying it directly on Top of Sultry Smoke, allowing some of rich purple to show, and subtly blending the two shades. For adding even more drama, apply Midnight on the entire lid and crease for a very smokey dark look.
LINING (Use any darker shade anytime using this technique. For this lok we are using Midnight)
In your lid or a small dish, add a drop of water to Midnight and mix into a creamy paste (be sure it’s not too watery or it will get messy, so add more midnight to your mixture). We sugest using our BENT LINER BRUSH- the bend in the brush makes application easy for even the novice first timer! Hint: don’t clean the dish when done- you can reuse it again and again simply by adding more water, since our minerals won’t spoil.
You will be applying directly along the lashline. Beginning in the middle (directly above the pupil area), pull brush along the lashes and outward, extending just a tad past the lashes. Without adding more to your brush, now start from the inner corner of the eye, and finish by connecting it to your first line. Now that you have your base liner applied, now you can thicken the line by tracing over your initial application.The thickest line should be on the outer edge. Always keep the inner eye line thin.
DON’T FORGET THE BROWS BABY!
Our favorite shade for almost every woman…no matter how light or dark your brows are naturally- is TAUPE. It’s cool brown tone adds a polished look to your brows and covers any lighter shadow that may have landed there during application.
Using the Brow side of your duo brow/shadow brush, apply TAUPE 3-n-1 Eye Candy by filling in the beginning of your brow only. Finish by doing small light strokes on the top edge of brow, and extend your brows if needed (sometimes over-tweezing or simple genetics needs a little assistance).